Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I Like To Look For Rainbows


On a day like today, I have a hard time staying indoors. The sky's sunny & bright one minute, then it goes gray and loaded with lightning & thunder the next and then back again. But, through it all, it was a beautiful day.
In between classes and studying, Spencer and I decided to take a break and have a li'l picnic. We met up and sat in the shade of a big tree in the front of UVU. It was a great break from school and everything that goes along with that. Plus, it was good to absorb some of that sunshiny-ness before the storm really hit. For the rest of the day, the sky was gray, rain and hail fell hard and lightning & thunder kept getting louder, brighter and, sometimes, scarier.I couldn't help but notice the people around me. Kids were jumping and playing around, drivers would splash through puddles on the street and I got to see one of those cute picture-moments where a couple gave a goodbye hug & kiss, oblivious to the elements around them. Going from one place to another, I couldn't help but prance around (for whatever reason, I think that will keep me dryer than if I were to just walk. It is more fun--that's for sure!). That is what I love to do in the rain--play and dance around, watching the lightning light up the city and the rain clean the streets. Even a picnic underneath a tree to keep you fairly dry is fun. It's so much better than staying indoors, waiting for the storm to pass (Who knows when that will be, anyway?).
And, when it is over, the sky will seem brand new; the dust and dirt will be washed away; the grass will be greener and the sun will shine bright again, just as it always does. So to this story, I would like to share a few things:
  • Have a 'picnic' whenever you have the chance
  • Look for the joy (it's there), no matter the conditions
  • The 'storm' may be needed to make the 'grass greener' and wash away the grime
  • Behind the heavy clouds is the sun, ready to shine through
  • Even a storm can give you a spectacular view
  • You can wait indoors and hide away or you can be in the action and witness God's power
I know, I know. It's cheezy but I always think of this children's song (one of my favorites) that means many things to me (I added my own verses, just for kicks and giggles):


I Like To Look For Rainbows

I like to look for rainbows whenever there is rain
And ponder on the beauty of an earth made clean again.
I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain;
I want to be the best I can and live with God again.

I know the storms of trials will pass away someday;
I'll feel the sunshine warm my soul and dry my tears away.
I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain;
I want to be the best I can and live with God again.

I know that I can smile and always feel His love;
And seek for joy and power in my Father up above.
I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain;
I want to be the best I can and live with God again.

I'd like to thank my Father for sending me the Son
To help me through the clouds and rain, 'till all my work is done.
I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain;
I want to be the best I can and live with God again.

2 comments:

Jessi said...

Oooh! I love your extra verses! So beautiful! I LOVED yesterday too! The boys and I hopped in the car and tried to catch the rainbow. We gave up, of course and we sang that song. So fun!

Heather Bay said...

I love me a good thunderstorm!